The CIO Mentoring Scheme is a UK first, bringing together in-post FTSE and equivalent CIOs with next generation corporate technology leaders. Over 60 CIOs are already taking part in the Scheme and we are welcoming new mentors and mentees into the programme.
“The role of the CIO is changing and we need to develop the next generation of CIO business leaders to meet the ever-changing needs and demands of our businesses.”
This is an initiative to bring together today’s leading CIOs with tomorrow’s technology leaders to accelerate their professional development, provide insight and new challenge whilst creating valuable, new, win-win relationships.
The Scheme pairs a senior CIO with an up-and-coming IT executive from another organisation (and sector/industry) for a period of 6-months during which intense and accelerating development objectives are worked on. Mentors and mentees in the Scheme also benefit from community meetings where they meet their peers and development experiences provided by CIO Development. Forthcoming community meetings are:
- 21 June, 2017 – London
- 3 October, 2017 – London
These half-day community sessions provide a great opportunity to meet other participants, to share experience and collect tips and techniques, to build your mentoring skills and widen your network. On each of the days above we deliver an intensive leadership skills coaching session after lunch.
There are many benefits for everyone who is touched by the Scheme. Some of these are:
Benefits for mentors:
- The opportunity to give something back to the profession that has provided stimulating, useful and rewarding working lives.
- The opportunity to have high-potentials from your own organisation join the Scheme and experience mentoring relationships with a range of other IT leaders.
As one of our mentors put it: “I am passionate about helping build our CIOs of the future, and the CIO Development programme is a fabulous opportunity to do just that. Bringing together experienced CIOs with the next generation of CIOs from a wide and diverse range of industries and backgrounds just makes the learning potential so much richer.”
Benefits for mentees:
- Opportunity to work deeply with two CIOs for every year of membership, the equivalent of many years’ experience in the workplace.
- Advice on managing corporate politics, insights into the art of getting things done, wisdom about career management and more.
Benefits for the IT function:
- New approaches as a result of interacting with others who have different experiences, skills and knowledge.
- Enhanced understanding of the perspective of business leaders.
Benefits for the organisation:
- An IT department which provides increased value and business benefits.
“Without some great mentors, I wouldn’t be realising my potential right now. I’d like to carry on that tradition and play my part in bringing on the best talent the UK has.”
The CIO Mentoring Scheme is operated and quality managed by CIO Development Ltd and sponsored by Boyden UK Executive Search.
We welcome new CIO mentors and high potentials. Contact us for a confidential conversation about how you and your organisation can benefit through membership of the CIO Mentoring Scheme.